Yes, but we ask that you do your best to understand your handgun. Read the owners manual, call us for a meeting before the class, take an opportunity to acclimate yourself to the guns proper function.
What do I bring to CPL Class?
You will need your handgun, 2 magazines, 50 rounds of ammunition, eye and ear protection.
I dont have very much experience with my gun, how do I meet this standard?
Once you are enrolled in the class, we want to schedule a meeting with you on our private range to make sure you are comfortable and confident.
Do I need my own gun to take the class?
We highly recommend that you use your personally owned handgun for this class. We cannot overemphasize the importance of understanding your self-defense firearm. However we have a limited number of firearms that students can rent.
Can I fail a class?
We are not in business to see people fail! Our goal is that you learn and succeed and we will help you attain this goal. However, here is the fine print….yes, you can fail, here’s how. If you willfully conduct yourself in these ways:
- Unsafe gun handling, (ex.) breaking our range rules for safe muzzle direction.
- Unsafe gun handling, (ex.) Not keeping your finger OFF the trigger until ready to fire.
- Unsafe gun handling. (ex.) Discharge of the firearm before instructed to do so.
- Unsafe gun handling. (ex.) Discharge of your firearm resulting in the fired round to leave the confines of the range impact area.
By now you see the trend? we cannot have YOU or OTHERS subjected to ANY unsafe gun handling!
But we are all human and make mistakes, so, you may be removed from class if these or similar things happen, but we will meet you at a different time to try again, we are not willing that any fail.
Who May Get a Concealed Carry Permit in Michigan?
Michigan is a “shall issue” state for CPLs. Effectively, that means that people 21 and over can obtain a CPL as long as:
- They are not specifically prohibited from doing so: Felons convicted of certain violent crimes can be banned from obtaining CPLs and possessing pistols. So too can convicted felons who have not yet satisfied their court-ordered penalties.
- They complete training: Proof of completing firearms safety training must be submitted as part of an application for a CPL.
- They pass a background check: As required by federal law, this will be a National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) background check.
Are there any Michigan CPL disqualifications?
There are specific restrictions on who can obtain a concealed carry license in Michigan, based on criminal history. Specifically, Michigan laws set forth various disqualifications for CPLs, with prior convictions for offenses like the following being bars to obtaining a concealed pistol license in Michigan. This includes:
- Misdemeanor convictions: Those who have been convicted of misdemeanor assault, misdemeanor sex crimes, and even certain misdemeanor weapons offenses can be barred from obtaining a CPL in Michigan for 8 years. This time frame starts as the date the prior case is fully resolved, meaning all court-ordered penalties for the case have been fully satisfied by the convicted individual.
- Felony convictions: Although convicted felons may have avenues for restoring their gun rights in Michigan, generally, these individuals will not be allowed to obtain a concealed pistol license in Michigan, even after gun rights have been restored.
Along with prior convictions for these offenses, there are other bars to obtaining a CPL in Michigan. In fact, permanent disqualifications for Michigan CPLs can include (and may not be limited to):
- Legal incapacitation
- Involuntary committal to a mental health institution
- Being under a personal protection order or a bond order that prohibits gun possession
- A “not guilty by reason of insanity” finding in a prior criminal case
Can I Have a CPL and be a Medical or Recreational Marijuana User?
No, according to Federal law, you are not allowed to both use medical or recreational marijuana and have a Michigan Concealed Pistol License (CPL). This is due to a conflict in state and federal law.
How Long Is My Concealed Pistol License Good For?
According to MPS, “a CPL is valid until the applicant’s date of birth that falls not less than four years or more than five years after the license is issued or renewed.” So, depending on the date a CPL has been issued, it may be valid for four to five years thereafter.
Within 6 months before the expiration date, CPLs can be renewed at the county clerk’s office (in the county of residence), along with the required fees.
Are background checks required for a Michigan Concealed Pistol License?
Yes. The Michigan State Police will check the law enforcement network and NICS and report anything that disqualifies the applicant to the county clerk.
BEGINNING DECEMBER 1, 2015, AND SUBJECT TO SUBSECTION (10), THE DEPARTMENT OF STATE POLICE SHALL COMPLETE THE VERIFICATION REQUIRED UNDER SUBSECTION (6) AND THE COUNTY CLERK SHALL ISSUE A LICENSE OR A NOTICE OF STATUTORY DISQUALIFICATION WITHIN 45 DAYS AFTER THE DATE THE APPLICANT HAS CLASSIFIABLE FINGERPRINTS TAKEN UNDER SUBSECTION (9)
Do I need to have my Michigan Concealed Pistol License on me when I am carrying concealed?
Yes. You must have your Michigan Concealed Handgun License on you along with your state issued driver license or identification card anytime you are carrying concealed.
Do I need to inform Law Enforcement that I am carrying a concealed weapon?
Yes. You must inform law enforcement that you are carrying concealed.
AN INDIVIDUAL LICENSED UNDER THIS ACT TO CARRY A CONCEALED PISTOL AND WHO IS CARRYING A CONCEALED PISTOL OR A PORTABLE DEVICE THAT USES ELECTRO-MUSCULAR DISRUPTION TECHNOLOGY AND WHO IS STOPPED BY A PEACE OFFICER SHALL IMMEDIATELY DISCLOSE TO THE PEACE OFFICER THAT HE OR SHE IS CARRYING A PISTOL OR A PORTABLE DEVICE THAT USES ELECTRO-MUSCULAR DISRUPTION TECHNOLOGY CONCEALED UPON HIS OR HER PERSON OR IN HIS OR HER VEHICLE. [SOURCE 28.425F.3]
Do you handle Firearm Transfers?
Yes! Let us help you close the deal. The process is fast and easy.
- Purchase a gun online from anyone, anywhere.
- Text or email us the sellers email address, the purchase order number, your name and phone number.
- We take over communication with seller & your gun ships to us.
- We contact you and schedule a pick-up time (evening or weekend) that is convenient for you.
- *For gun p/u, plan on about 30 minutes for the Federal paperwork to be completed/approved.
- Provide current and fully updated Drivers License.
Liberty & Freedom LLC
11428 Old Highway 99
Montague, Michigan 49437
Creator God, Help us to think and act what is right, help us to use our feedom and personal skills to furthur peace, help us to have clarity of mind when trouble comes and help us to care for others the way you have shown care for us. Amen